Friday, October 28, 2011

T.G.I.F.

I co-ordinate a Breakfast Club for my school four days a week and I love it when my day off coincides with Fridays.  It's the one day I don't have to get up at 5:45 to get ready to prepare breakfast for the students at my school!  Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Club and all that it means to our students, staff and volunteers.  What a great way to start the day with kids and food and some of the most amazing volunteers on the planet.

However, today, is my day off and it's also Friday!  I don't have to get up at the required 5:45.  Instead I get to sleep in until 6:00ish.  :)  It's the working day of the week that I get to make breakfast for my kids.   I know deep down inside that they like it when I am there to make them breakfast... at least I hope they do ;)  Last night I told Stacey that I'd make cheese scones for part of our breakfast.  They're super good.

Although, do you ever wake up in the morning and things just seem to be weird?  Not that they go wrong, but not that they go as planned.  That's today.  I woke up, knocked my glasses on the floor and then spent about five minutes in the dark (because at 5:55 am there isn't any sunlight streaming through my windows) waving my hand across the floor trying to find my glasses.  So of course I know you are thinking, "Turn on the light, Marg."  Such an obvious statement.  I stood up to walk the three steps to the light switch only to stand on the arm of my glasses!  Yup... a little twist to the left arm, thank you very much.  With that, I headed out the door with my glasses sitting slightly askew on my face and stepped right on the jagged chewy bone thing we bought for Zaley.  Not wanting to yell, I just groaned and continued to the bathroom.

Still in the dark, I left the bathroom and headed toward the kitchen.  I've been awake now at least seven minutes.  You'd think my eyes would have seen a little light.  As I approached the kitchen I felt for the light switch on the wall.  Turned on the lights and it was like someone was doing laser surgery on my eyes!  Man was that light bright.  I didn't let that deter me though.  I squinted until my eyes adjusted and turned the oven on to preheat for the precious morning scones.  Measruing cups?  Check.  Bowl?  Check. Ingredients?  Double check.  As I grated the cheese, I was hoping that they'd taste as good as the last time.  I took the fork and mixed the floor and cheese and other ingredients together to form that slightly sticky ball.  I floured the counter and began to roll out the biscuit mix.  As I cut out the first biscuits I thought I should get a pot of coffee ready for Vince when he gets home from work.  I slid the biscuits onto the heated baking sheet, set the timer, and prepared to get the coffee started.

Filter?  Check.  Coffee?  Check.  Water?  ugh.... just as the timer went off on the oven the lid flipped down on the coffee pot and water sprayed all over the place.  Ok, cleaned that up.  Turned to the oven and went to take the scones out and one of them slid off the sheet and onto the element of the oven.  Ok, I'll take the others off the sheet onto the wire rack to cool and get that wayward scone after.  Those scones are combustible!  In seconds that scone was lighting up my oven in a blaze.  :(   6:20 am and not all is well in the Stahlbaum kitchen.  (No comments here for those that want to say something.)  I used my cat-like reflexes and stuck my hand in to retrieve the ball of fire only to realize that my skin burns too.  After several attempts using different utensils, I got it out.  Surprisingly, the smoke detector did not go off.

After all of that, I made some scrambled eggs for Kerby, Stacey & I and we enjoyed our scones.  I thought maybe I could have just cut off the parts of the burned scone in order not to waste it, but when I flipped it over, I realized it wasn't going to happen.  It's was landfill bound.  When my grandkids arrived for their regular Friday morning breakfast of pancakes, my Friday morning routine was complete.  Now, off to drop those grandkids off to school and see the Blue Day Kindergarten class.  They're celebrating Halloween today for that class.  I'm looking forward to seeing how many superman and princess impersonators are there today!  I love Fridays.  Thank you God for Fridays.

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for Fridays for sure!!! :) Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband tells me all the time that we live on the edge, little does he know I'm over the edge most of the time. I love reading your blogs. My stories can't even compare, although I could give you a run for your money. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete