Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reveal Day!

Wow!  Today was something else!  Who'd have thought that family in Cambridge would be given such an opportunity!  I got an email last week from Sharon, the producer, and she said that Tuesday, Jan.17th, would be the day the viewing audience would find out who one the Family Fit Contest.  An email followed the next day saying it would be Wednesday.  The Marilyn Denis Show would be sending in satellite truck and it would be a live feed into the studio downtown Toronto.  Then early Monday morning, yesterday, it was changed again.  A satellite truck was not going to be available but we were asked to skype in.

I got up this morning, did my three repetitions of depth squats, push ups and planking exercises and then got ready to go to Breakfast Club around 6:30 am.  I work with the most amazing volunteers at Breakfast Club.  We have worked together for so many years that each of us knows each job inside out.  I was able to leave shortly after 7:40 to come back home to get everything ready for the skype appointment.  I was asked to pick up this HD webcam.  Man... I am so technically challenged!  I couldn't figure out how this webcam clamped on to my laptop.  I asked Stacey to see if the webcam was working and she said that the picture was very fuzzy.  She looked at me like I had six heads and said that I didn't have the webcam attached to the computer.  I knew that!  It wasn't attached at all because I was holding it!  She is so smart... she knew exactly what to do!

A phone call soon came in from the Marilyn Denis production crew and they wanted to do a skype audio and picture test.  Well, this $100 camera was great but it kept going out of focus.  So, at last we just removed this webcam and used the one in my computer.  We still had half an hour before we were to be on air.  I tried to hold myself together, but I couldn't.  I was in the living room trying to laugh to cover my crying but then Jocelyn called me out on it.  "What are you crying for?", she asked.  All I could do was say, "I'm scared." as I grabbed a kleenex and nervously laughed and cried some more.  I really tried to pull myself together and eventually after some reassurance from my family, I was more composed.  At least my nose didn't bleed!

I wish my son, Greg, could have been part of this challenge, but living in Moncton was too difficult to co-ordinate.  He said that he is going to try and work along side us with some other pastors in the area.  I hope he does.  He was working this morning and tweeted a shout out to us and then tweeted a picture.  http://twitpic.com/88frxl

The show started and we had about two minutes on air.  I am so proud of my family.  They are supporting each other and encouraging each other in so many ways.  Kerby's fiance, Jeremy, even video taped the show and posted it to his wall on Facebook!  

We have had to submit to the nutritionist a three day food intake record and then had to send Brent Bishop, our fitness coach, our exercise log.  He has been checking in on me about every third day to see how things are going.  He's made some recommendations and encouraged me to push myself a little harder.  I'm afraid... I don't know what of, but I am nervous.  I'm going to try hard.  Try hard to face that fear.  Maybe that's why they have Joe Rich, Family Therapist, coming in tomorrow night to meet with us.

When I got home from the Swaziland warehouse today, I got a phone call from the media department of the Marilyn Denis Show and was told that the Cambridge Times wanted to speak to me about our challenge.  They are going to feature us this coming Friday in the Times.  They also want to keep a running story on us as well.  Should be interesting.  I still can't comprehend it all.  We really have so much support.  I'm humbled... and scared silly!  :D

If you haven't had a chance to see it, go in about 4 minutes 54 seconds into the segment, and you'll see the "reveal".   http://www.marilyn.ca/Video.aspx#clip602370

There is lots happening next week - on Monday, the nutritionist is coming in to inspect our pantry; she'll be taking us on a grocery trip and then Tuesday, we are in the studio for the full hour on the Marilyn Denis Show; after that, we go to ThinkFitness Studio with Brent Bishop to shoot some exercise footage for future shows.  :)  Yup... who'd have thought.... certainly not me!  But I'm grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you guys. I watched the segment today and as you know I am not in Canada so it is frustrating as I never know if I am able to see the footage. Thank you to Jeremy for posting it and I was able to watch along with everyone else. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete